Music Tech Class

This blog reflects my personal feelings and opinions toward my class assignments, class projects, and technology in general.

Monday, February 20, 2006

It is fair to Adobe if I keep the Creative Suite?

Last week my friend Michelle was having major troubles installing her Adobe Creative Suite, and the last thing that tech support suggested to her was to attempt to install it on a different computer. Since my computer is the same model (though mine is a 14 inch and a little newer) she thought mine would be the best, so she came over and installed the stuff and everything works perfectly on my computer.

However, the question at hand is........should I keep it? I have more than enough hard drive space, so that's not an issue. The real issue is whether or not this is fair or legal, and I think that might be kind of a gray area.

On one hand, Adobe TOLD Michelle to install to another computer, and they probably didn't say "but you really really must delete it afterward". However, after reading Adobe's licensing agreement it's definitely clear that a copy bought for individual use can only be installed on another computer if the same user is installing it on a second computer for their personal use and wouldn't be using them at the same time. I interpret that to mean, one copy is on your desktop and one is on your laptop.

Legality aside........it's kind of nice to have some of these applications......that is what is preventing me from immediately deleting. The full version of Photoshop is great, and having the full version of Adobe Acrobat could be really beneficial. I'm not really sure what the other applications do.....but those two alone are enough to keep my interest.

Perhaps some of my guilt about keeping the Creative Suite comes from many many years of Catholic school, but in this day and age people are using the internet and technology to steal things all the time. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it more generally accepted by society. At the same time, I didn't "steal" this software. Really, I just happened to get it based on a lucky coincidence. There's nothing in Adobe's Licensing Agreement about a lucky coincidence like this.

I'm still undecided.........

1 Comments:

  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    If I were you, I'd keep it. The Adobe people told Michelle to try installing on a different mac and by luck your mac was chosen! Maybe it was fate! And you're right- the legal folders say nothing about lucky coincidences.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home